Project Tender for RDH Multi-storey Car Park

2 April 2017

Project Tender for RDH Multi-storey Car Park

The Territory Government is delivering on an important election commitment with the project tender announced for the new multi-storey car park at Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH).

The Health Minister, Natasha Fyles said this was a significant milestone for the project.

“Delivering a multi-storey car park at the Royal Darwin Hospital was an important election commitment," Ms Fyles said.

“We’ve heard the frustrations of Territorians struggling to access essential services at the Hospital because of a lack of parking facilities and we’ve taken action.

“$12 million was fast-tracked for the project in November last year as part of the Territory Labor government’s infrastructure plan to support local business and create jobs.

“The new multi-storey car park is expected to include up to five levels of parking with the options to extend vertically and horizontally as the hospital continues to grow.

“The facility is expected to have up to 350 spaces, with more than 20 designated disabled car parks.

“It will increase covered parking at the site and provide safer parking options for hospital staff.

"The former CLP government failed to deliver on its promised car park.

"It also hit Territorians by introducing an unworkable fee based system to park at the hospital.

“We believe all Territorians should be able to access these critical services for free – and this milestone marks an important step towards delivering that.

We have already delivered free parking at the Royal Darwin Hospital with changes under the Medical Services Act and we are also addressing capacity - with this multi-storey car park.

As per the Labor Government’s Buy Local scheme, local businesses will receive a 30% weighting.

“We recognise the Northern Territory is facing tough economic times and –while benefiting Hospital staff, patients and visitors - this work will also create jobs.

"Since coming to government we’ve worked efficiently to support business by:

  • Introducing Buy Local requirements on Capital Grants and policy reforms
  • Fast-tracking $120 million worth of infrastructure projects
  • Introducing a $22 million Immediate Works Stimulus Package
  • Introducing a bigger, better version of the Home Improvement Scheme

"Tenders are expected to be awarded in June 2017 with construction completed late 2018."

SOURCE: http://newsroom.nt.gov.au

Publish Date: 
Sunday, April 2, 2017 - 15:15
News Category: 

Return to News