John Holland is looking for a range of sub-contractors, suppliers and employees to participate in the delivery of works on what is the largest irrigation modernisation project in Australia and has been hosting industry briefings throughout the Goulburn-Murray region.
The briefings, held throughout February attracted a number of interested regional companies keen to find out how to get involved.
The $2 billion Connections project is funded by State and Commonwealth governments and will ensure the sustainable future of productive agriculture in northern Victoria.
Attendees of the industry briefings heard that in 2017, across the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District, there were more than 100 active work sites, more than 250,000 ‘man hours’ of work completed, and John Holland employed more than 500 people.
The plan for 2018 includes more than 150 projects, including channel remediation, pump stations, meter treatments and irrigation pipelines.
With the project entering its next phase, John Holland is taking the opportunity to reflect on what did and didn’t work in 2017, and the industry briefings are part of the company’s recognised need for earlier engagement with local suppliers.
Key features and benefits of the project include:
- Creating water savings for environmental use across the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District
- Develop modernised infrastructure that will extract the maximum amount of value from available water
- Assisting irrigation communities in the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District to adapt to reduced water availability and build a sustainable future for productive agriculture
- Creating employment and opportunity for local Contractors and Communities
- Enhancing the environment locally, and across the Murray Darling Basin.
John Holland Chief Executive Officer, Joe Barr, said the project would bring important benefits in water security for local Victorian farmers.
“The Murray Darling Basin is the largest river system in Australia, contributing 40% of the gross value of agricultural production in our nation and supplying water to over two million Australians. We look forward to working with irrigators and communities to enhance the security of this most precious resource,” he said.
For more information, go to http://www.johnholland.com.au/who-we-are/latest-news/john-holland-to-deliver-goulburn-murray-water-connections-project/