Lendlease has been working with ICN South Australia to sound out suppliers and subcontractors throughout the construction industry in preparation for the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital (New WCH).
Lendlease was awarded the Early Contractor Involvement contract in February 2022, and has since used ICN Gateway to release a market-sounding questionnaire to assess the appetite, capacity and capability of suppliers and subcontractors to participate in the project.
Lendlease is developing a Procurement Plan to engage and inform local and national contractors of potential procurement opportunities for a number of aspects of the project, including:
- The new multi-storey hospital
- Shared user paths over the railway
- Landscaping, roadworks and intersection works.
The current Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) in North Adelaide opened in 1878, and although it has been regularly updated since then, its ageing infrastructure means it requires ongoing maintenance. It also has no helipad, nor a women’s intensive care unit.
Late last year, the South Australian Government announced that a new hospital would be built at the Thebarton Police Barracks site on Port Road, altering existing plans to build the new hospital on smaller land, immediately west of the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH).
The $3.2 billion project will deliver a state-of-the art facility, including:
- critical care services, such as birthing, theatres, 23-hour ward, PICU and NICU, all on one floor
- a dedicated Heliport with direct access to critical clinical areas
- 56 more overnight beds than the current WCH
- future capacity to provide a further 20 beds
- future proofing for cardiac surgery
- dedicated sterilisation facilities
- an integrated four bed intensive care unit so women needing high care can remain at the New WCH, rather than being transferred to another hospital.